[Crash-utility] crash 4.0-3.14 and SLES 10

Daniel Li dli at virtualiron.com
Thu Sep 13 20:05:41 UTC 2007

Bernhard Walle wrote:
> * Daniel Li <dli at virtualiron.com> [2007-09-13 21:34]:
>
>> From what I saw, 'not stripped' doesn't mean it has the .debug_info
>> section. After I compiled a kernel with '-g' flag and feed that to crash,
>> that error message went away.
>>

> That's necessary on SLES9. On SLES10, we have -debuginfo packages.
>

> Thanks,
>    Bernhard
>
> --

I tried it yesterday on my SLES 10 box. First of all, I couldn't find
the 'kernel-smp-debug' or any 'debuginfo' package, the only one I could
find was called 'kernel-debug', which claimed to have the debug kernel.
So I installed that package and found the debug linux image it installed
under /boot. However, when I attempted to feed that kernel to crash, it
freezed my host. I tried it both with the smp kernel and default kernel,
and both times the host freezed up. Right now I'm planning to patch up
the system (current version is 2.6.16.46-0.12) to the latest updates and
hope this might take care of the problem.