[Crash-utility] Viewing module symbols using crash

Durga Prasad durgaprasadsharma at gmail.com
Fri Aug 8 10:40:34 UTC 2008

Hi,

[1]:
I need to debug a kernel module (a device driver).
I added the desired module to crash using mod -S <path to module>. The
driver is compiled with -g option.
I could not see the structures defined within the module.

Am I missing something?

System info:
    KERNEL: vmlinux.sles10sp2.smp.x86_64
    DUMPFILE: 2008-08-08-18:57/vmcore
    CPUS: 4

     RELEASE: 2.6.16.60-0.21-smp
     VERSION: #1 SMP Tue May 6 12:41:02 UTC 2008
     MACHINE: x86_64  (1995 Mhz)
     MEMORY: 3.9 GB

[2]:
I could get into live kernel debugging using crash on RHEL 5 after
installing relevant kernel-debug packages. How do I do the same on SLES 10?
As of now, I have been compiling the kernel with CONFIG_DEBUG_INFO set. I
can use the resulting vmlinux for post crash analysis, but not for live
analysis.  Any light on how to accomplish this would be appreciated.

Thanks
Durga Prasad