[Crash-utility] Viewing module symbols using crash

Bernhard Walle bwalle at suse.de
Fri Aug 8 14:15:04 UTC 2008

* Dave Anderson [2008-08-08 09:32]:

> > [2]:
> > I could get into live kernel debugging using crash on RHEL 5 after
> > installing relevant kernel-debug packages. How do I do the same on SLES 10?
> > As of now, I have been compiling the kernel with CONFIG_DEBUG_INFO set.
> > I can use the resulting vmlinux for post crash analysis, but not for
> > live analysis.  Any light on how to accomplish this would be appreciated.
>
> For SLES I'm guessing that you could use the post-built (CONFIG_DEBUG_INFO) kernel,
> but also add the System.map file of the live kernel to the command line, as in:

Just install -debuginfo package, i.e. for kernel-default you need to
install kernel-default-debuginfo and
uncompress /boot/vmlinux-<version>.gz. Than just run

  $ crash /boot/vmlinux-<version>

for live debugging and

  $ crash /boot/vmlinux-<version> vmcore

for post debugging.

For SLES 10 SP2 GA, you find the debuginfo package at

   http://beta.suse.com/private/bwalle/debuginfo/SUSE-Linux-Enterprise-Server-SP2-10-GMC/

for maintenance update you have to add some debuginfo channel.

Bernhard
--
Bernhard Walle, SUSE LINUX Products GmbH, Architecture Development