[Crash-utility] function arguments

Shahar Luxenburg shahar at checkpoint.com
Wed Aug 20 06:13:17 UTC 2008

Hi,

I'm using crash utility on RHEL 5 on x86. According to the TODO list 'bt'
command should show function arguments: "Display arguments in the stack
trace. At present, we do not have support for PPC64 and x86_64".
Unfortunately, no function arguments are presented using 'bt' command. Am I
missing something?

If that's the case, I'd like to add that feature (for x86 architecture at
first).  Code from kdb can be ported to the crash utility for that purpose.
kdb is analyzing the code using basic blocks, understanding where the
registers are being saved (either to other registers or memory location) and
if their values can be retrieved, it prints them. Can I use debug
information for that purpose? I can look at the eh_frame section to
understand where ebx, edi, esi and ebp are saved but I can not find
information, for each frame, what is the fate of eax, edx and ecx - If I'd
know that, then either they were saved in memory (stack location) - it's
easy to get them, or they were saved in another register, than I can use the
debug information to understand if they were saved on the stack at some
'younger' frame.

Any hint will be welcomed.

Regards,

Shahar.