[Crash-utility] Determining values of arguments and local variable in x86_64 crash dumps

James Washer washer at trlp.com
Tue Jul 8 17:04:30 UTC 2008

I've always determined the values of locals and parameters/arguments the
hard way, i.e. by looking at the disassembly and determining where the
values are stored, etc.

I do note however that gdb is pretty damned good at "reading" variables
for user programs, which prompts me to ask.. why cannot we do this in
crash? (Perhaps we can and I'm just missing something)

Assuming that crash cannot locate locals/args, is there any chance crash
might (someday) determine where a register is spilled higher up the
stack frame?

Yes, I realize this is all wishlist stuff.. but it cannot hurt to ask
(can it?)

 - jim