JWW SPAM-bad-from [Crash-utility] enhance bt command

Ming Zhang blackmagic02881 at gmail.com
Sun Mar 2 01:26:08 UTC 2008

On Sat, 2008-03-01 at 17:15 -0800, James Washer wrote:
> I think you'll have better luck consulting the source code, and
> disassembly to figure out what is on the stack.

checking asm code and finding out what is on the stack is sure the most
accurate way. but a hint could speed up the process.

> For the example you've cited, if a given function uses an inode pointer,
> it shouldn't take but a minute or so to determine where in the stack
> frame this inode is located. (unless of course it turns out to be in a
> register only, in which case you have to look for it to be spilled in a
> subsequent frame)

quite some time you can see from the asm code that a important parameter
is stored in register and you have to go several level deeper before
finding it. so a hint which quickly locate a potential 'hot' data and
later revalidate with code reading is still very appealing.

--
Ming Zhang

@#$%^ purging memory... (*!%
http://blackmagic02881.wordpress.com/