[Crash-utility] mod -S and debuginfo kernel rpm

Michael Holzheu holzheu at linux.vnet.ibm.com
Tue Apr 21 13:44:01 UTC 2009

Am Dienstag, den 21.04.2009, 09:05 -0400 schrieb Dave Anderson:
> ----- "Michael Holzheu" <holzheu at linux.vnet.ibm.com> wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > The kernel debuginfo rpms (e.g. kernel-debuginfo-xxx.s390x.rpm) > provide
> > kernel modules that contain debug sections in order to access the > data
> > structures with tools like crash. The kernel modules are named "<module_name>.ko.debug".
> >
> > The mod -S command in crash does not recognize the ".debug" files. Is
> > that by intention? What is the recommended way to load all the debug
> > information?
>
> That is by intention.  The argument to the "mod" command should be
> the stripped "<module_name>.ko" file.  When loading that file, the
> embedded link to the "<module_name>.ko.debug" file found in the
> stripped "<module_name>.ko" file should be recognized and handled
> internally by the embedded gdb module.

>From where gets gdb this link? Is it somewhere stored in the ELF module
file?

What I want to do is to unpack the kernel rpm and kernel debuginfo rpm
to my local directory and then load the modules with "mod -S"

In my local directory I have lib/modules/2.6.18-128.el5/ with the kernel
modules and usr/lib/debug/lib/modules/2.6.18-128.el5/ with the .debug
files.

When I use "mod -S lib/modules/2.6.18-128.el5" the debug information
seems not to be loaded.

Michael