[Crash-utility] fuzzing crash(8)

Adrien Kunysz adk at redhat.com
Tue Dec 1 22:05:30 UTC 2009

Adrien Kunysz wrote:
> Dave Anderson wrote:
>> ----- "Dave Anderson" <anderson at redhat.com> wrote:
>>
>> I did the same thing to a vmcore (i.e. handcrafting the PT_NOTE
>> segment's p_offset field like you did), and was able to get the
>> crash session up with the attached patch.
>>
>> Does it work for you?
>
> Thanks. I confirm crash(8) now exits cleanly when given the corrupted
> vmcore after applying the patch.

Actually that patch fixes all the crashes I found with my previous round of black box fuzzing on x86_64 (using zzuf if
anyone is interested). I am currently playing with bunny (http://code.google.com/p/bunny-the-fuzzer/) but I am a bit
doubtful it will find anything useful in any decent amount of time without some manual work, oh well CPU time is cheap :)