[Crash-utility] dev command deteriorates with new kernels

Bob Montgomery bob.montgomery at hp.com
Mon Jun 8 20:39:01 UTC 2009

On Mon, 2009-06-08 at 20:23 +0000, Dave Anderson wrote:
> ----- "Bob Montgomery" <bob.montgomery at hp.com> wrote:
>

> But anyway, given the command's current capability, do you think that the
> alternative -f option should just be thrown out, and that all devices
> should be dumped regardless whether they have file_operations associated
> with them or not?

Since the dev command has a prior history of saying "(none)", you might
as well let crash reveal everything it finds (including the (none)
entries).  Then you can avoid telling folks about the "-f" option.

So I vote for showing it all with just "dev".   Eventually someone who
really understands it can explain why it is or isn't meaningful to
reveal an entry that has a NULL ops field.  But for now, hide
nothing :-)

Bob Montgomery