[Crash-utility] netdump starting problem

Anirudh Srinivasan srianirudh at gmail.com
Tue Mar 31 17:58:06 UTC 2009

hello friends,

I was setting up netdump server in my workplace. I followed the following
procedure:

Server Configuration:

   1.

   Verify that the netdump server is installed: rpm -q netdump-server. If it
   is not installed, install it by running the command: up2date
   netdump-server.
   2.

   After the netdump server package is installed change the password for the
   "netdump" user to something that you know: passwd netdump
   3.

   Enable the netdump server: chkconfig netdump-server on
   4.

   Start the netdump server: service netdump-server start

Client Configuration:

   1.

   Verify that the netdump client is installed: rpm -q netdump. If it is not
   installed, install it by running the command: up2date netdump.
   2.

   Edit /etc/sysconfig/netdump and add the following line:

   NETDUMPADDR=192.168.0.5

   **192.168.0.5 should be changed to the ip address of the netdump server.
   3.

   Enter the following command and give the netdump password when
prompted: service
   netdump propagate
   4.

   Enable the netdump client: chkconfig netdump on
   5. Start the netdump client: service netdump start

Now after doing this i get the following message:

# service netdump start
netdump: cannot arp <ipaddress>
netdump: cannot find <ipaddress>in arp cache
netdump: can't resolve <ipaddress> MAC address
netdump server address resolution                          [FAILED]

What could be the reason for this ? How could i solve this?

Thanks
Anirudh Srinivasan