[Crash-utility] x86_64 bt

Shahar Luxenberg shahar at checkpoint.com
Thu May 7 09:53:59 UTC 2009

Hi,

I've bumped into two issues while using crash' bt command on x86_64 architecture:

 1.  Incomplete disassembly of gdb: gdb's x/i command was unable to detect the nopl machine instruction (opcode 0x0f) - output was "(bad)". This resulted in an incorrect stack back trace since the frame size couldn't be calculated correctly. I've done a quick test, replacing some gdb files with a newer version taken from binutils (i386-dis.c for example) which solved the problem. Is there a plan of updating gdb version or part of it?
 2.  x86_64_get_framesize() is very naïve. It is bailing out once the 'retq' instruction is seen. Is this issue going to be addressed?

Thanks,
Shahar.

Email secured by Check Point