[Crash-utility] Re: crash-4.0.9 cannot load extensions on i686

Alex Sidorenko asid at hp.com
Mon Oct 5 15:47:23 UTC 2009

Hi Dave,

I have found that crash-4.0.9 cannot load any extensions on 32-bit hosts, even
echo.so. Running crash with -d5 on a live 32-bit kernel I can see that it
fails as

crash> extend extensions/echo.so
extend: ./extensions/echo.so: machine type mismatch: 3
extend: ./extensions/echo.so: not an ELF format object file

        if (!is_shared_object(ext->filename)) {
                error(INFO, "%s: not an ELF format object file\n",

Something is wrong in is_shared_object() logic on IA32. It is interesting that
there are no problems with crash-4.0.9 and extensions on 64-bit systems. As
most of us are running 64 bits, this probably explains why nobody reported
this bug yet.

Regards,
Alex

Alexandre Sidorenko             email: asid at hp.com