[Crash-utility] Re: Symbol info from System.map vs. DLKM-debuginfo

Alex Sidorenko asid at hp.com
Tue Oct 6 12:33:03 UTC 2009

On October 5, 2009 04:25:49 pm Dave Anderson wrote:
> However, then you loaded (via an internal "add-symbol-file" gdb operation)
> the older nfsd.ko module's information into the crash utility -- and it
> overwrote the original symbol value data with that from the (non-matching)
> nfsd.ko that contains the incorrect f908b984 address.  So the crash utility
> is just doing what you told it to do.  There's no support for loading a
> module that doesn't match reality, and continuing to use the old (correct)
> symbol addresses.

Hi Dave,

thank you for clarifications. 'lru_head' originates indeed not from the
System.map but rather kallsyms. This means that on a live kernel I'll be able
to use old debuginfo nfsd.ko if I am careful and get the address _before_
using mod command. But now I understand that this approach is very
error-prone.

Thanks,
Alex

Alexandre Sidorenko             email: asid at hp.com