[Crash-utility] Re: crashdc : automatic data collection for new vmcores in text format

Louis Bouchard louis.bouchard at hp.com
Fri Sep 25 15:40:56 UTC 2009

Hello Mike,
Mike Snitzer a écrit :

> Seems like you should have a config file also; so that each of the
> run-*.sh don't contain path information, etc.. just the distro specific
> mechanism.
>
> make the configuration common (e.g. /etc/sysconfig/crashdc ?).  Have
> templates as you like for each distro.  But config info does not belong
> hidden in scripts in /usr/bin/
>
> Mike

Interesting comment and I agree that those should fit in configuration
files.

I will also do my best to keep the run-*.sh scripts exempt from
configuration specific information. Actually, those scripts should not
be in /usr/bin at all. I would prefer to have them somewhere like in
/var/crash/scripts (/var/log/dump/scripts in SLES10).

Matter of fact, those run-*.sh scripts are there to deal with things like :

 - In the kexec kernel, the namelist is /boot/vmlinux{version} in RHEL
and /root/boot/vmlinux{version} in SLES11 which mounts the root FS under
/root in the initrd realm.

 - SLES needs to know where to find the .debug file which is part of the
debuginfo RPM. RHEL doesn't need that

 - Differences in implementation of kdump post script mechanisms.
They're different everywhere (RHEL5, SLES10 and SLES11). I don't want
the user to have to bother with that. They should only have to add one
line to the /etc/kdump.conf|/etc/sysconfig/kdump file to have this working.

So thanks for your comments : they come in early enough in the
development so I can change things around easily.

Kind regards,

- --
Louis Bouchard, Linux Support Engineer
Team lead, EMEA Linux Competency Center,
Linux Ambassador, HP

HP Services                       1 Ave du Canada
HP France                         Z.A. de Courtaboeuf
louis.bouchard at hp.com             91 947 Les Ulis
http://www.hp.com/go/linux        France
http://www.hp.com/fr