[Crash-utility] Re: crash 4.0.9 on x86 is crashing

Sumeet Gupta meetsumeet at gmail.com
Wed Sep 30 01:33:48 UTC 2009

On Tue, Sep 29, 2009 at 7:11 PM, Dave Anderson <anderson at redhat.com> wrote:

> ----- "Sumeet Gupta" <meetsumeet at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > It was my mistake.
> >
> > During an earlier debugging, I set verbose=1, misinterpreting it to
> > mean just a few debug prints.
>
> What do you mean by that?  Where are you setting "verbose"?

I was talking about the file x86.c, function x86_kvtop, around line 2622,
where it returns from the function, or not, depending upon verbose. If the
purpose of verbose in this function is only to have more fprintfs, then the
behaviour should not change based on this argument. I had (to see whats
going on in this function,) set the verbose flag in it to 1. This caused the
recursion in function calls I mentioned.

> > On restoring the code, I'm able to run crash utility quite well. I'm
> > yet to understand the purpose of verbose, though.
>
> Right -- nor do I.  Regardless, I don't know why you should have run
> into that problem on that particular symbol.  If you can make that
> vmcore available for me to download, I can take a look at it.

Thanks Anderson. But that is not necessary any more. I'm able to see into
the vmcore using crash.

> > On a side-topic - is an ARM port of this utility (ie, a vmcore
> > generated on an ARM system, debugged with crash offline on X86)
> > available, or in the offing?
>
> None that I'm aware of.  It was brought up on this list some time
> ago, and I gave the requester some initial guidance on the steps
> to take in order to add support for a new architecture.  But I've
> heard nothing since then.

If you could give me a link to your previous mail having the guidance steps,
that would be helpful.

Thanks,
Sumeet