[Crash-utility] [RFC v2] gcore: process core dump feature for crash utility

Dave Anderson anderson at redhat.com
Wed Aug 11 14:11:22 UTC 2010

----- "HATAYAMA Daisuke" <d.hatayama at jp.fujitsu.com> wrote:

> Hello.
>
> This is the RFC version 2 of gcore sub-command that provides a process
> core dump feature for crash utility.
>
> During the period from RFC v1, I had investigated how to restore
> user-mode register values. The patch reflects the investigation.
>
> Any comments or suggestions are welcome.

Hello Daisuke,

I haven't had a chance to play with this, but thank you for transistioning
this to an extension module.  I say that especially due to the fact that you've
essentially "ported" a huge amount of 2.6.34 kernel code to user space, and
then tinkered with the memory accesses, etc., to adapt it to getting data
from the dumpfile.  Doing it that way is fine -- as long as you don't mind
maintaining it.

It should be noted that it's something that I try to avoid doing in the base
crash utility if at all possible.  The one place where I did do precisely what
you did was the porting of the kernel's ia64 unwind code, which you'll note has
since gone through 3 versions.  The unwind_x86_32_64.c piece was started by IBM
back before Jan Beulich's (temporary) x86 unwind code was pulled out of the kernel,
but it's pretty much dead code now.

In any case, what you have done is an impressive amount of work, and
certainly worthy of being maintained in the extensions area.  And BTW,
*you* will be the maintainer, answer questions about it on the crash-utility
mailing list, review/accept/reject other contributors patches to it, etc.

But again, it's an impressive start.  When you are satisfied with it, let
me know. and I will store it on the crash-utility web-site, and include
in the tar.gz/src.rpm files.