[Crash-utility] crash: invalid structure member offset

Dave Anderson anderson at redhat.com
Thu Aug 12 13:13:31 UTC 2010

----- "Reinoud Koornstra" <koornstra at hp.com> wrote:

> Hi Everyone,
>
> I am trying to read a core file into crash, but I've got bad luck as you can see below.
> Is core file corrupt? It is a vmcore file from a 32 bits kernel that
> was compiled with PAE, could that have corrupted things?
> Any hints here?
> Thanks,
>
> Reinoud.
>
> $ crash System.map-2.6.27 ./vmlinux-2.6.27 ./vmcore
>
> crash 4.0-3.7

I don't know if the vmcore is corrupt, but PAE wouldn't be an issue.

However, you are running a version of crash that was released almost
4 years ago (13-Oct-2006) against a two-year-old kernel that was
released 15-Oct-2008.  That's pretty much a guarantee of failure.

Try updating to version 5.0.6 and see what happens.

And BTW, if the vmlinux file is the exact same kernel as the
one that generated the vmcore file, you don't need a System.map
argument.

Dave

15-Oct-2008