[Crash-utility] Reasons why kdump isn't activated

Gallus gall.cwpl at gmail.com
Wed Feb 10 15:49:33 UTC 2010

Kexec is property configured: /etc/init.d/kdump status shows: "Kdump
is operational". There is no message like: "disabling kdump" in dmesg.
Instead, there are messages: "kdump: kexec: loaded kdump kernel" and
"kdump: started up".

After system-wide error occurs, kdump reacts correctly. New kernel is
started, and there are messages like: "Memory for crash kernel (0x0 to
0x0) notwithin permissible range" (this is correct, secondary kernel
starts with different kernel command line, without the crashkernel
option, because it doesn't load any third kernel, as we know) and
"disabling kdump". But, there is no message: "kdump: saved a vmcore to
/var/crash/*" and no vmcore is saved.

When I tested exactly the same box with manually triggered system
crash (echo c >/proc/sysrq....), everything was the same except that
the "kdump: saved a vmcore to /var/crash/*" was emitted and the vmcore
was saved.

Regards,
Gallus