[Crash-utility] Running idle threads show wrong CPU numbers

Michael Holzheu holzheu at linux.vnet.ibm.com
Fri Jan 22 14:18:48 UTC 2010

Hi Dave,

I have a problem with a dump where I have defined five CPUs and two of
them are offline. In fact the logical CPUs are defined as follows:

  0 on
  1 on
  2 off
  3 off
  4 on

The CPU online map looks correct:

crash> print/x *cpu_online_mask
$4 = {
  bits = {0x13} ---> b10011
}

When I issue "ps" I see that all running tasks are idle, but the CPU
numbers are not correct (0,1,2 and not 0,1,4):

   PID    PPID  CPU       TASK        ST  %MEM     VSZ    RSS  COMM
>     0      0   0       800ef0       RU   0.0       0      0  [swapper]
>     0      0   1      18c24240      RU   0.0       0      0  [swapper]
>     0      0   2      18c2c340      RU   0.0       0      0  [swapper]

I tried to debug the problem, but got stuck somewhere in "task.c". I
think there is a problem with the idle threads initialization, where the
online map is not considered.

Maybe you can see the bug immediately. Otherwise I will have spend more
effort for debugging that problem. I hope not :-)

Michael