[Crash-utility] can't get hba info

Miller, Mike (OS Dev) Mike.Miller at hp.com
Mon Oct 25 20:52:07 UTC 2010

Hello,
I'm trying to debug an issue using crash. I've moved the vmcore file over to a system other than the system from which the dump was collected. I've installed a variety of debug rpms including the kernel-debuginfo, kernel-debug-debuginfo, glib-debuginfo, and kernel-debuginfo-common. I've also copied the lib/modules from the test system to mine.

When I run the command "p hba" it returns:

	Crash > p hba
	Hba = $2 = 778764288 (please ignore the uppercase, stupid mail client)

I expect to see something like:

	Hba = $1 = {0x102170b0000, 0x0, 0x0,..., 0x0}

Why is that? Do I need to be running crash on the test system itself? I thought all relevant info would be contained in the vmcore file and I could attempt the analysis on any system?.

The crash version command returns version = $3 = v0.25941.
My running kernel is 2.6.18-prep. /etc/issue reports rhel5.5.
The kernel on the test system is 2.6.18-164.el5. That is also the version of the debug packages I installed as well as the vmlinux file I'm using. Any problems mixing and matching like that? I have not rebooted my system since installing the debug packages but that doesn't seem necessary. Thanks in advance.

-- mikem

"The spirit of resistance to government is so valuable on certain occasions, that I wish it to be always kept alive. It will often be exercised when wrong, but better so than not to be exercised at all. I like a little rebellion now and then. It is like a storm in the atmosphere." --Thomas Jefferson, letter to Abigail Adams, 1787