[Crash-utility] How to open 32 bit dom0 kdump....

Dave Anderson anderson at redhat.com
Mon Sep 13 13:02:25 UTC 2010

----- "Feng LI" <funglee at gmail.com> wrote:

> Thanks Dave,
>
> I had tried another combination: 32 bit Xen kernel with 32 bit Dom0
> kernel, but I have the similar issue. The vmcore file is still in 64
> bit format. (Our system has a large memory configuration 8GB-192GB),
> Is there any way I can generate elf32 vmcore file ?

OK, now I'm thinking mabye we've got a regression of some sort.  The
bare-metal kdump procedure is designed to use the 64-bit vmcore format
all of the time because physical memory beyond the 4GB limit cannot
be referenced using the fields in a 32-bit vmcore header.

However, you can configure 32-bit by modifying /etc/sysconfig/kdump here:

  # Example:
  #   KEXEC_ARGS="--elf32-core-headers"
  KEXEC_ARGS=" --args-linux"

by making KEXEC_ARGS=" --args-linux --elf32-core-headers"

But before doing that, can you try applying the attached patch to
the crash utility?