[Crash-utility] DD image

takuo.koguchi.sw at hitachi.com takuo.koguchi.sw at hitachi.com
Wed Apr 13 15:48:00 UTC 2011

Hi Dave,

Crash utility support for such a raw dumpfile would be really useful for some embedded devices.
Such device typically have no storage resource to write the dumpfile in the supported format, but another CPU on the system can take out the physical memory contents to a connected debugger PC. In this case, only raw dumpfile is available since the latter CPU do not have the knowledge of the crashed kernel.
Writing a small utility which converts a raw dump to one of the supported format might be an idea.  But it probably requires the information from vmlinux.
So it seems natural to me that crash utility should support raw dumpfile by itself.

Best Regard,

Takuo Koguchi