[Crash-utility] [RFC] makedumpfile, crash: LZO compression support

Dave Anderson anderson at redhat.com
Mon Dec 5 15:34:39 UTC 2011

----- Original Message -----
> > > Hello Hatayama-san,
> > >
> > > Thank you for your work.

> > > I'll measure the performance for actual vmcores by makedumpfile.
> > > Please wait for a while.
>
> I measured the performance of makedumpfile for some vmcores.
> Please see below.
>

> Sample Data
>
>   To simulate a working server, I captured VMCOREs while almost all pages
>   were alloceted and filled with random data. (See attached file "fill_random.c")
>
>   I captured the VMCOREs of 5GB, 7.5GB and 10GB in the same condition.
>
> How to measure
>
>   I measured the total execution time and the size of output file.
>
>   $ time makedumpfile --message-level 16 [-c|-l| ] vmcore dumpfile
>
> Result
>
>     See attached file "result.txt".
>

> This time, lzo's compression was the quickest, and lzo's compression ratio is
> almost the same(only a bit worse) as zlib's.
> It seems good, and I will merge the patch set into the makedumpfile.
>
> What is your opinion, Dave?

Well, I'm not particularly thrilled about the requirement of three additional
packages and the extra library.  In the most recent crash release I did add
the capability of easily adding extra libraries to the build procedure.  But
if the feature ever becomes the default in a future RHEL distribution, then I
guess I won't have any choice but to force the requirement of the packages and
library.

Dave