[Crash-utility] Patching more pseudo section symbols from layouts

Toshikazu Nakayama nakayama.ts at ncos.nec.co.jp
Fri Dec 9 08:04:21 UTC 2011

Hello Dave,

I add more pseudo section symbols which do not own any named symbol like
 ffffffffa004ccf0 [.rodata.str1.1]: section start
 ffffffffa004d14a [.rodata.str1.1]: section end
crash> rd ffffffffa004ccf0 -e ffffffffa004d14a
This can access section data without symbol.

This patch set way is learned from kernel/module.c layout_sections()
and probably be possible to integrate existing calculate_load_order_v1/2()
or add_symbol_file_kallsyms().
However, I can not confirm many kernel versions or architecrures,
thus my choice is verifying and updating to installed sections.

P.S.

I want to make feature in http://grsecurity.net/ PaX linux in crash utility.
The PaX patch changes module location by separating non contiguous RX/RW areas
which makes virtual address hole in module, also translates virtual address.
I tried but crash can not work out yet under PaX linux.
I'm resolving them with brief/rough way and
useful parts are merged into crash code, and then posting here.

If you can accept such a non mainline kernel feature in crash utility,
I would like to keep posting patch set until my whole work has done.

Thanks,
Toshi