[Crash-utility] How do debug the kdump kernel using a Xen dump-core file?

Dave Anderson anderson at redhat.com
Thu Feb 10 14:12:54 UTC 2011

----- Original Message -----

> 'xm dump-core' can appearently create the required core file while the
> kdump kernel runs. Just crash can appearently not "switch over".
>
> What should I modify in crash to let it work from a different "offset",
> in other words: the memory reserved for the kdump kernel?
>
> Olaf

Ah, I misunderstood.  So you are running an HVM guest which has kdump
enabled, the guest has crashed, and now you want to look at the guest's
kdump kernel.

Anyway, like I mentioned in my last message, you *may* be able to coerce
it into running by adding the --machdep physbase=<physical-address> option.
And that would only be possible if it's an x86_64 guest.  I'm not sure
what the <physical-address> value should be in that case, so you would
have to experiment.

Normally people don't have much interest in debugging the kdump kernel...