[Crash-utility] Crash physical search on live session not recommended :-)

Dave Anderson anderson at redhat.com
Mon Feb 28 22:15:09 UTC 2011

----- Original Message -----

> crash> help -v
> ... [ cut ] ...
> numnodes: 1
> nr_zones: 4
> nr_free_areas: 11
> node_table[0]:
> id: 0
> pgdat: ffff81000000b000
> size: 261642
> present: 256704
> mem_map: ffff8100006e6000
> start_paddr: 0
> start_mapnr: 0
> dump_free_pages: dump_free_pages_zones_v2()
> dump_kmem_cache: dump_kmem_cache_percpu_v2()

> But doing the phys_to_page() before the read seems reasonable.

Although, it may not make a difference at all.  On the system
above, all of the pages in the node have page structures
associated with them, even with SPARSEMEM_EX, so it doesn't
make a difference.  And if I search just the unity-map region,
the CRASHDEBUG(1) output is identical with respect to the
number of pages read vs. checked.