[Crash-utility] [ANNOUNCE][RFC] gcore extension module: user-mode process core dump

HATAYAMA Daisuke d.hatayama at jp.fujitsu.com
Fri Jan 28 02:01:24 UTC 2011

From: Dave Anderson <anderson at redhat.com>
Subject: Re: [ANNOUNCE][RFC] gcore extension module: user-mode process core dump
Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2011 10:24:00 -0500 (EST)

OK. I'll post that way, and I'll also give description explaining what
is added in the release.

> Also, if you have a public location where perhaps a git tree exists,
> we can put a link to it in the comments section of the web page.
> Or if you want add more to the description in the "comments" section,
> (perhaps the kernel versions it has been tested with?), the let me
> know.
>
> In any case, the new files are now available from:
>
>   http://people.redhat.com/anderson/extensions.html

Thanks. It's helpful. I'll let you know after I consider what's needed
to be described. I've not yet have git tree in public but it'll help
if exists. I'll consider that from now on.

Also, I have a question about the fact that gcore hanged during the
process of gathering note information.

I attempted reproducing the bug on 2.6.35.10-74.fc14.x86_64 with
crash-5.0.6-2.fc14.x86_64 and crash-5.1.1, but it have not been
reproduced yet: gcore worked well for both crash versions.

I then retried using 2.6.34-2.fc14.x86_64 but failed to boot on the
same environment as in 2.6.35.10-74.fc14.x86_64.

So, questions I have are: In what kind of environments did you face
the hang? I want to and need to set up the same environment as
yours. In Fedora Alpha, its kernel version was already 2.6.35
according to the release notes:

  http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Fedora_14_Alpha_release_notes#Linux_Kernel_2.6.35

Also, it is helpful if you show me a backtrace during gcore hanging.

Thanks.
HATAYAMA