[Crash-utility] Unable to switch stack frames while using crash

Dave Anderson anderson at redhat.com
Thu Jun 16 13:59:44 UTC 2011

----- Original Message -----
> Hi,
>
> Thank you Dave for your time and help.
>
> As suggested, I will update my crash utility first and then go about
> analyzing the dump.

> I tried to use the command you suggested " makedumpfile -c -d 31 -x
> vmlinux_temp vmcore vmcore-new " . I got an error message " The kernel
> version is not supported.The created dumpfile may be incomplete.
> check_release: Can't get the kernel version"
>
> Should I update makedumpfile utility as well? Or just updating crash
> will do?

That's a makedumpfile issue -- the message comes from here in makedumpfile.c:

        if ((version < OLDEST_VERSION) || (LATEST_VERSION < version)) {
                MSG("The kernel version is not supported.\n");
                MSG("The created dumpfile may be incomplete.\n");
        }

where, at least in the RHEL6 version of makedumpfile (1.3.5), this
is the range:

  #define OLDEST_VERSION          KERNEL_VERSION(2, 6, 15)/* linux-2.6.15 */
  #define LATEST_VERSION          KERNEL_VERSION(2, 6, 32)/* linux-2.6.32 */

The upstream version of makedumpfile is now 1.3.7, which bumps LATEST_VERSION:

  #define LATEST_VERSION          KERNEL_VERSION(2, 6, 36)/* linux-2.6.36 */

But it's a warning message, and your vmcore-new may still be usable.