[Crash-utility] Unable to switch stack frames while using crash

Dave Anderson anderson at redhat.com
Tue Jun 21 13:53:45 UTC 2011

----- Original Message -----
> Hi Dave,
>
> I updated the makedumpfile utility from 1.3.5 to 1.3.7 . When I run the
> below command
>
> makedumpfile -c -d 31 -x vmlinux_temp vmcore vmcore-new
> The kernel version is not supported.
> The created dumpfile may be incomplete.
> check_release: Can't get the kernel version.
> makedumpfile Failed.

I see that makedumpfile-1.3.8 was recently released, but it still
has a LATEST_VERSION of 2.6.36:

  #define OLDEST_VERSION          KERNEL_VERSION(2, 6, 15)/* linux-2.6.15 */
  #define LATEST_VERSION          KERNEL_VERSION(2, 6, 36)/* linux-2.6.36 */

You haven't stated what your kernel version is, but it seems makedumpfile
cannot get past this point.  On the other hand, the compressed kdump was
created, so I'm not entirely clear.

> Is there any other way to extract the ELF style vmcore file from the
> kdump compressed format. Please guide me.

I don't believe so...

But I'm not the makedumpfile maintainer, so I'd prefer not to give any
definitive answers to your questions.  I've cc'd the upstream maintainer
of makedumpfile.