[Crash-utility] [RFC] makedumpfile, crash: LZO compression support

Dave Anderson anderson at redhat.com
Thu Nov 17 20:13:12 UTC 2011

----- Original Message -----

> This could involve configure.c, but conceivably it could all be done within the
> Makefile itself.  For example, by entering something like "make compress=lzo2",
> and then adding this to the Makefile:
>
> ifneq ($(compress),)
> ifeq ($(compress), lzo2)
>   LZOFLAG=-DLZO
>   LZOLIB=-llzo2
> endif
> endif
>
> And then the diskdump.c compile line could use ${LZOFLAG}, and the
> gdb_merge stanza could include ${LZOLIB}.

On the other hand, the capability of dynamically adding an optional
library could be a useful feature in general -- not only for LZO
compression support, but for other things in the future.

I'm thinking that we could allow the user create an "extralibs" file
in the top-level directory, and then build_configure() in configure.c
could read it and dynamically create the LDFLAGS= line in the Makefile.
Currently LDFLAGS can only be modified manually, but the -static example
hasn't worked for a long time, and should be removed.