[Crash-utility] crash cannot read the symbols

Dave Anderson anderson at redhat.com
Wed Sep 21 18:22:37 UTC 2011

----- Original Message -----
> I tried to use crash just to read the vmlinux file without debug info.
> So I used crash not correctly.
> Since this is used for linux 2.4 I cannot simply get a core dump file.
> In 2.6 it's relatively easy to get a core dump, the same isn't true
> for linux 2.4 I guess?

Yeah -- although it depends whether you're using a particular
Linux distribution or just building your own kernel from
upstream sources.

RHEL3 was 2.4 based, and it had two kernel core-dumping facilities,
netdump and diskdump; other distros used the LKCD facility, but
none of them were ever accepted upstream.