[Crash-utility] Accessing integer variables from sial

Dave Anderson anderson at redhat.com
Tue Sep 27 13:18:03 UTC 2011

----- Original Message -----

> Dave, Luc,
>
> This is the same patch I've sent to both of you back in January.
> It applies cleanly against 5.1.8

Did you send it directly to us?  (I don't see it in the archives.)
In any case, just the other day I received automatic email from
mailman at redhat.com reporting "excessive bounces" from both of Luc's
subscribed addresses, and I see on his LinkedIn page that he has left
that company.  I'll see if I can get in touch with him.

> I'd like to get it into the official tree - it does solve the problem
> of getting access to integer variables from sial and so far I haven't
> seen any side-effects.

It's fine with me, although I am not a sial user.  In the meantime, unless
anybody else on the list has any objections, I'll queue the patch for crash-5.1.9.

BTW, I note that more recent versions of ld make this complaint:

$ make extensions

$ gcc -g -I.. -Ilibsial -I../gdb-7.0/bfd -I../gdb-7.0/include -I../gdb-7.0/gdb -I../gdb-7.0/gdb/config -I../gdb-7.0/gdb/common -I../gdb-7.0 -nostartfiles -shared -rdynamic -o sial.so sial.c -fPIC -DX86_64 -DGDB_7_0 -Llibsial -lsial
/usr/bin/ld: Warning: alignment 4 of symbol `sialppdebug' in /tmp/ccYSzE2s.o is smaller than 16 in libsial/libsial.a(sialpp.tab.o)
/usr/bin/ld: Warning: alignment 4 of symbol `sialdebug' in /tmp/ccYSzE2s.o is smaller than 16 in libsial/libsial.a(sial.tab.o)
gcc -Wall -I. -nostartfiles -shared -rdynamic -o snap.so snap.c -fPIC -DX86_64
$ /usr/bin/ld --version
GNU ld version 2.21.51.0.6-6.fc15 20110118
This program is free software; you may redistribute it under the terms of
the GNU General Public License version 3 or (at your option) a later version.
This program has absolutely no warranty.
$

By any chance, do you have any insight on how to address that?