[Crash-utility] using crash for ARM

Dave Anderson anderson at redhat.com
Wed Aug 8 12:46:05 UTC 2012

----- Original Message -----

> how about if crash utility supports breakpoints/watchpoints
> specifically hw level.
> of course need a kernel module to modify kernel memory as you
> suggested.
>
> was there any specific reason, you did not support this, thinking
> already kgdb and kdb types of utility available ?
> If we support breakpoint./watchpoints in crash, will the crash be
> able to offer much better than any other kernel debug tools ?
>
> what do you think?

I really don't understand how you expect the crash utility to
accomplish such a feat.  If a breakpoint were set, it would
generate an interrupt in the kernel, control would be passed
to an interrupt handler, and any "work" would have to be done
there (within the context of the interrupt handler) since the
crash utility code could not run in user-space.

The crash utility has never done such a thing since its inception
in early UNIX.  And yes, kgdb, kdb, kprobes, ftrace, or systemtap
would be more in line with what you're looking for.