[Crash-utility] Extension modules in C++

Alex Sidorenko alexandre.sidorenko at hp.com
Mon Aug 13 21:46:12 UTC 2012

On August 13, 2012 11:02:22 AM David Mair wrote:
> On 08/01/2012 04:06 PM, Alex Sidorenko wrote:
> > On July 26, 2012 11:57:05 AM Petr Tesarik wrote:
> >> Hi all,
> >>
> >> as part of SUSE HackWeek8, David started work on a GUI extension using
> >> Qt4,
> >> which is a C++ project.
> >
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I have a working prototype (still in Alpha) of Python-Qt based GUI that
> > works>
> > remotely using the following approach:
> >  - at server side, you load PyKdump and do 'epython server'
> >  - at your local PC, you run 'python guimain.py'
> >
> > Communication is done using TCP and exchanging records with headers
> > containing data length.
> >
> > At this moment the project is in early stages (proof of concept) but
> > already usable. Because PyQT is portable, the same sources work both on
> > Linux and Windows clients.
> >
> > I think that building GUI directly on top of crash is not the best
> > approach - it is easier to add a small extension to crash and then
> > communicate with it (if done locally, we could use shared memory or
> > AF_UNIX sockets).
> >
> > A similar approach (driving GDB externally instead of linking with it) is
> > already used in several GUI debuggers, e.g. 'ddd'.
>
> Hi Alex,
>
> It's my Hack Week work that Petr was talking about, I'm interested in
> the idea of merging anything useful into your project or re-basing my
> thoughts on your interface, do you have a site or list I can contribute at?

Hi David,

the development of PyKdump is done using

http://sourceforge.net/projects/pykdump/

but I did not push GUI yet as I played with several different approaches and
was not sure the code is good for release yet (the server part is already in
PyKdump git-repository, the 'devel' branch). At this moment the GUI client has
some hard-wired pieces (links into HP-hosted server with unpacked kernel
sources) so it needs a cleanup before you can use it.

I'll send you the sources later this week so you could try GUI and provide
your comments. I find Python-Qt more suitable for rapid development than C++
(and it more portable). But this really does not matter at this moment - it is
more important to understand what benefits (compared to plain command-line
crash) GUI can provide.

Yes, it would be great if we could work on this together!

Regards,
Alex

Alexandre Sidorenko             email: asid at hp.com
WTEC Linux			Hewlett-Packard (Canada)