[Crash-utility] kmem: WARNING: cannot find mem_map page for address

Bruce Korb bruce.korb at gmail.com
Fri Dec 14 23:16:41 UTC 2012

Hi Dave, et al.,

Having hacked my way around the self-sabotage on the temp file:

> #define mWARN( _m, _a...) do {		\
> 		FILE * _sv_fp = fp;		\
> 		fp = stdout;			\
> 		error(WARNING, _m, ##_a);	\
> 		fp = _sv_fp;			\
> 	} while (0)

That also removed the mysterious problem of having a duplicate error
message show up on the console.

My next problem is that I seem to be getting inconsistencies between
the data I can print and the data I can find mapping information about:

> crash> gdb set $tp = (struct cfs_trace_page *)0xffff8807fb590740
> crash> p $tp->page
> $7 = (cfs_page_t *) 0xffffea001bb1d1e8
> crash> p *$tp->page
> $8 = {
>   flags = 144115188075855872,
>   _count = {
>     counter = 1
>   },
> [...]
>   lru = {
>     next = 0xdead000000100100,
>     prev = 0xdead000000200200
>   }
> }
> crash> kmem 0xffffea001bb1d1e8
> kmem: WARNING: cannot find mem_map page for address: ffffea001bb1d1e8
> 879b1d1e8: kernel virtual address not found in mem map

So I can print out the page_t structure (renamed as cfs_page_t in Lustre)
at address 0xffff8807fb590740, but when I try to get kmem information about
it, it cannot find the  page.  What am I missing?

Thanks for hints/pointers!  Regards, Bruce