[Crash-utility] crash endlessly looping on stdout error

Dave Anderson anderson at redhat.com
Wed Feb 22 19:39:50 UTC 2012

----- Original Message -----
> On 02/21/2012 10:44 AM, Dave Anderson wrote:

About the closest I can come to reproducing it so far is to run
"kmem -S" on a dumpfile I created with the snap.so extension
module, where the slab subsystem was churning underneath the
snapshot process (a live dump).  Anyway, the command gets into
an endless readmem() loop because of invalid kmem slab bookkeeping
values, and if I kill the network connection I can catch it in a
readmem() loop.

Now I could check for a parent pid of 1 each time in readmem(),
and kill it there, given readmem() is so regularly called, but
since you're seeing scenarios that don't show a readmem() in
the loop, that's not going to fly.  Perhaps a better plan would
be to set up prctl(PR_SET_PDEATHSIG, SIGKILL) during initialization,
and hope there's no unwanted side effects.