[Crash-utility] crash cannot work for the newest qemu's core

HATAYAMA Daisuke d.hatayama at jp.fujitsu.com
Wed Jul 4 01:10:00 UTC 2012

From: Dave Anderson <anderson at redhat.com>
Subject: Re: [Crash-utility] crash cannot work for the newest qemu's core
Date: Thu, 28 Jun 2012 16:38:56 -0400

This is a patch set in libvirt side:

  https://www.redhat.com/archives/libvir-list/2012-June/msg00404.html

In summary:

  - dump-guest-memory is a qemu monitor command, the protocol of which
    is explained in http://wiki.qemu.org/QMP.

  - To get ELF-formatted vmcore, we specify --memory-only option to
    virsh dump command, then virsh dump uses dump-guest-memory monitor
    command vir QMP protocol, instead of migrate monitor command.

  - Note that the default behaviour remains calling migrate command.

BTW, we can call monitor commands using virsh qemu-monitor-command but
they are restricted, according to this FAQ:

 - http://wiki.libvirt.org/page/FAQ#Can_I_connect_to_the_QEMU_monitor_with_libvirt.3F

Also, this is helpful to know how virsh commands use qemu monitor
commands:

 - http://wiki.libvirt.org/page/QEMUSwitchToLibvirt#Monitor_command_equivalence

Thanks.
HATAYAMA, Daisuke