[Crash-utility] [help]Where can I find user-space registers in an x86-64 kernel dump?

Dave Anderson anderson at redhat.com
Mon Mar 5 14:25:06 UTC 2012

----- Original Message -----
> Hello,
>
> From: "hujun_hotmail" <duanshuidao at hotmail.com>
> Subject: [Crash-utility] [help]Where can I find user-space registers
> in an x86-64 kernel dump?
> Date: Sat, 3 Mar 2012 21:58:55 +0800
>
> > Hi guys:
> >   Where can I find user-space registers in an x86-64 kernel dump?
> >
> > thanks!
>
> Kernel performs saving user-space registers at several kernel entry
> points such as system calls, interrupts and exceptions. Concretely,
> look carefully into ./arch/x86/kernel/head_64.S.

With respect to the crash utility and dumpfiles, user-space register contents
are captured into a "pt_regs" data structure that is stored at the top of each
user task's kernel stack upon entry into kernel-space (whether via syscall,
interrupt, or exception), and those registers are displayed by the "bt" command.