[Crash-utility] ANNOUNCE: PyKdump-0.6.4 prebuilt binaries for X86/X86_64 available

Alex Sidorenko alexandre.sidorenko at hp.com
Mon Mar 12 17:26:04 UTC 2012

Hello,

even though PyKdump extension is widely used both in HP and other companies, I
have not uploaded any binaries to SF since 2008. This is mainly due to the
lack of time - my colleagues in HP use binaries built by me on our internal
hosts and other companies are either building from sources or ask me to
provide binaries by email. As a result, the old binaries from SF do not work
properly on recent kernels. Wiki documentation describing how to build from
sources was not very good either (now Bruce Korb has kindly agreed to help
with documentation).

You can download the prebuilt binaries from

http://sourceforge.net/projects/pykdump/

These binaries have been built on RHEL4. As the only dependency is GLIBC,
this means that they can be used on any distribution with GLIBC not older
than that on RHEL4, in particular RHEL5, RHEL6, SLES10, SLES11 are fine.

Usually extensions built against a specific crash version do not need
to be rebuilt for other crash versions, as long as it is the same major
version. But extensions built against crash-6.X will not work with
crash-5.X and vice versa.

For convenience, the archive contains both extensions (built with
Python-2.7.2 and crash-6.0.3), and crash executables themselves,
both 32-bit and 64-bit versions:

usr/local/bin/crash32
usr/local/bin/crash64
usr/local/lib/mpykdump32.so
usr/local/lib/mpykdump64.so

The provided utilities work with any kernel starting from 2.4.21 and up to
3.0.0.

'taskinfo' commands.

'epython' can be used to run your own scripts, other commands are general-
purpose and have many options.

I hope to significantly improve the documentation and building process in the
nearest future.

Regards,
Alex

Alexandre Sidorenko             email: asid at hp.com