[Crash-utility] How do I get IA64 register R32 and above?

Robin Holt holt at sgi.com
Tue Apr 23 06:35:26 UTC 2013

On Mon, Apr 22, 2013 at 04:38:02PM -0700, Jay Lan wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I got an IA64 vmcore. The stack backtrace only
> printed registers up to R31. How do I get the contents
> of R32 and above?

The r32... registers are rotating registers.  They change with the
stack frame.  I don't recall how gdb(crash) does it, but they should
be associated with the stack frame.  The registers have special meaning
depending upon the first "instruction" of the function which tells the
processor where to advance the rotating point to.

Take a look at the backtrace.  I think the registers will show up there.

I will look at the ia64 book when I get to the office and see if I
can remember how the rotate works, where the backing store is for
the registers, etc.

Good Luck Jay,
Robin