[Crash-utility] log -m reports wrong log level value

Louis Bouchard louis.bouchard at canonical.com
Wed Jan 30 17:05:29 UTC 2013

Hi Dave,

Le 30/01/2013 17:48, Dave Anderson a écrit :

> I got tired of dealing with the constant changes in the upstream log structure
> associated with the damn flags/level/facility fields, so I just decided to show
> the whole combined field.
>
> To be honest, I find the log-level pretty much useless anyway.  And for example,
> the vmcore-dmesg facility that comes with the kexec-tools package ignores
> it when dumping a variable-length record log.
>
> I should also mention that I'm almost finished with a new crash feature
> to dump the log from a vmcore without having the vmlinux file, also
> by using just the vmcoreinfo data.  And similar to dmesg-dump, I'm
> also ignoring the log-level for the variable length record log buffer:

Well, ignoring the log-level is potentially what I will do with
makedumpmfile if my 'hack' is considered too dangerous (I hardcoded the
log.level offset as it's not available in vmcoreinfo. I would be fine
with ignoring the log-level as well, it will make my patch slightly simpler.

> That being said, if you can make crash work with the older and newer
> log structure formats by pulling the flags/level format from debuginfo
> data, post a patch.

There was one attached to my original post.

> I don't recall the details, but the problem has to do with the changes
> to the log structure itself.

Let me find out what if I get comments from Vivek Goyal on the kexec ML
then I'll decide if it's worth keeping the log-level in there. I'll let
you know what I find out.

Kind regards,

...Louis

--