[Crash-utility] How to parse out kmem output?

Dave Anderson anderson at redhat.com
Sun Mar 24 18:27:26 UTC 2013

----- Original Message -----

> > Hi list,
> >
> > I am current tracking one issue related with memory.
> > What I want to know if a kernel address which is alloced by kmalloc,
> > 1. whether that address is already freed or not

I should also have mentioned that the address you are looking for could
have been previously allocated, freed, and now it's part of the kmalloc-2048
slab cache where it hasn't been re-allocated yet?  It's hard to tell, but
it doesn't seem to be currently-in-use.

> > 2. if not freed, could I know which task or struct is owning that range?

The owner is not tracked by the SLAB/SLUB subsystem, at least not unless
some type of DEBUG is turned on.  You might try doing a "search" for the
address, and if found, try to determine what the containing addresses
are.

Dave