[Crash-utility] Using crash to debug a domU on xen.

Don Slutz dslutz at verizon.com
Tue Nov 19 03:17:36 UTC 2013

Sorry for the late reply.  I was off attending the Xen Developer
Conference, and then testing out the latest kexec code, and am just
getting back to this,

On 10/23/13 12:37, Daniel Kiper wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 22, 2013 at 07:03:19PM +0200, Daniel Kiper wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Sorry for late reply but I am very busy now.

>>> Good.

>>> That is why I started with it in xen.  Not sure where it will end up.
>> I do not know protocol details but I think that it is worth checking
>> gdbsx tool from Xen (xen/tools/debugger/gdbsx) and gdb protocol spec
>> (you could expose GDB interface from QEMU so it could be useful in HVM
>> case). Maybe crash protocol is very similar or even identical with GDB
>> protocol because a large part of crash is GDB itself.
I can see using gdbsx and gdb.  However I have found crash to be easier
in lots of cases.  I could have used xg from here if I did not already
have code based on xenctx.
> Ugh... I was in a hurry and forgot about final statement. Sorry for that.
No problem.
> So we could just use existing solutions if they are compatible with
> protocol used by crash.
>
> Daniel
The only existing solution that I know of is:

    xl dump-core <Domain> <filename>
    crash <filename>

But this way does require disk space, and the delay while writing the
file.  For me it took ~2 minutes to write out a 3G core file.  I also do
not see the current registers being saved in the core file.

    -Don Slutz