[Crash-utility] question about kernel module dwarf unwinder support

Jiong Wang jiwang at tilera.com
Tue Oct 1 04:02:42 UTC 2013

Hi Dave,

sorry for delayed reply, I was not on the mailing list, just subscribed
it :-)

please see inlined reply below.
> Hello Jiong,
>
> So should I presume that you are ultimately planning to post a complete
> patchset that introduces the TILE architecture?  I'm not at all familiar
> with the processor type, but is there something that would differentiate
> TILE and TILEGX?

yes, we plan to return the whole backend to community after we finished
various tests.

TILEGX means TILE, it's already included in linux kernel tree.

> Anyway, I do try to avoid "#ifdef <ARCH>" if at all possible.
>
> A few questions:
>
>  Your patch only makes the call if "mod -s <module>" is used -- but what
>  if "mod -S" used?
>
>  If your call fails, you force "mod -s <module>" to also fail -- do you
>  really want to do that?
thanks for pointing this out. sure, my call fail should not stop the
normal "mod -s" procedure.

>   10042
>   10043 add_symbols:
>   10044         result = add_symbol_file(st->current);
>   10045
>   10046         if (CRASHDEBUG(2))
>   10047                 check_for_dups(st->current);
>   10048
>   10049         st->current = NULL;
>   10050
>   10051         return result;
>   10052 }
>
> That would also cover the "mod -S" command as well.

looks like a good place to integrate my call as a post load module
target hook. I will re-arrange the code.

thanks.

---
Regards,
Jiong