[Crash-utility] Using crash to debug a domU on xen.

Dave Anderson anderson at redhat.com
Wed Oct 16 13:09:35 UTC 2013

----- Original Message -----
> I have some code that allows this. See the following mail thread:
>
> http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.comp.emulators.xen.devel/174807
>
> The questions are:
>

>     1. Does remote access have a specification?

If you're talking about the remote.c file in the crash sources, no,
there's nothing other than the remote.c file itself.

>     2. Is it supported?

It's been deprecated for almost 10 years now.  I don't understand how
you have been able to even get it to build, never mind work as the mail
thread indicates?  But I don't know anything about xen_crash, xentrace,
or how it even interacts with the crash utility?  It looks like it might
replace the old "crashd" daemon that was built as part of the old remote
access facility?

>     3. Should the code be part of xen or crash?

I don't know.  Xen support is no longer something I'm actively involved
with since Red Hat dropped support for it.  Since then, Xen support in
the crash utility has primarily come from Daniel Kiper from Oracle and
Petr Tesarik from SUSE.  They are both on the list, and should see this
message, but I'll cc them in this response as well.