[Crash-utility] Crash support for kASLR

Andrew Honig ahonig at google.com
Wed Oct 16 16:02:59 UTC 2013

I'm talking about working with a vmlinux/vmcore pair.  To get crash
working with the current version of kASLR that doesn't have the offset
data specifically in the VMCOREINFO I could use another symbol in the
VMCOREINFO to calculate the offset.  For example _stext is already in
the VMCOREINFO.  I could get the offset of _stext from the VMCOREINFO,
then get the offset of _stext from the vmlinux and subtract them to
get the ASLR offset.

If the VMCOREINFO and vmlinux files don't match then this won't work,
but we can check to make sure the calculated offset is page aligned,
that way we at least detect when it doesn't work.  Alternatively I
could just wait until the next version of kASLR which will output the
aslr offset in the VMCOREINFO.  This would have the downside for us
that it wouldn't work for existing kernels we've built with kASLR.