[Crash-utility] Using crash to debug a domU on xen.

Daniel Kiper daniel.kiper at oracle.com
Tue Oct 22 17:03:19 UTC 2013

Hi,

Sorry for late reply but I am very busy now.

On Thu, Oct 17, 2013 at 03:25:25PM -0400, Don Slutz wrote:
> On 10/16/13 09:49, Petr Tesarik wrote:
> >On Tue, 15 Oct 2013 12:02:51 -0400
> >Don Slutz <dslutz at verizon.com> wrote:
> >
> >>I have some code that allows this.  See the following mail thread:
> >>
> >>http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.comp.emulators.xen.devel/174807
> >>
> >>The questions are:
> >>
> >>  1. Does remote access have a specification?
> >>  2. Is it supported?
> >I have never even made it to work. But since there's now some new use
> >for it, I wouldn't object reviving the code.
> >
> Good.
> >>  3. Should the code be part of xen or crash?
> >I think it should be part of xen, because it needs the xen development
> >files, which would be a new dependency for the crash utility. Also, the
> >development cycle is more aligned with xen than crash.
> >
> >Just my two cents,
> >Petr T
> That is why I started with it in xen.  Not sure where it will end up.

I do not know protocol details but I think that it is worth checking
gdbsx tool from Xen (xen/tools/debugger/gdbsx) and gdb protocol spec
(you could expose GDB interface from QEMU so it could be useful in HVM
case). Maybe crash protocol is very similar or even identical with GDB
protocol because a large part of crash is GDB itself.

Daniel