[Crash-utility] OpenVZ wishes for crash

Dave Anderson anderson at redhat.com
Thu Dec 4 19:22:08 UTC 2014

----- Original Message -----
> Dear Dave,
>
> Could you please advise how it's better to add some OpenVZ-specific
> functionality into mainline crash.
>
> Most important tasks for us are:
> 1) for specified task: get its Container ID.
>
> 2) for specified container: get list of its processes, IP addresses,
>   references to according structures: mounts/net devices/IPCs and so on.
>
> 3) list of running containers:
>   Container ID, its IP addresses, reference to top parent task (aka init),
>   number of running processes
>
> Can we add some key to "ps" and "foreach" commands?
> For example:
> "ps -z  pid" allows us to get CT Id,
> "ps -z CTID" helps to look/calculate number of processes in container
> "foreach (ct?) net/ipcs/mount" -- to get container-specific information
>
> Thank you,
> 	Vasily Averin

I don't know enough about it to answer you.  I'm presuming that there things
you want to look at that don't exist in the mainstream kernel data structures?
Like for example, where is the "CT Id" located?

Seems like you might want to look into creating an extension module that
does exactly what you want without being bound by existing crash
command constraints.

Especially your "foreach" suggestion -- that facility is only for task contexts,
so only the net [-s|-S] option is allowed, and ipcs and mount don't apply.