[Crash-utility] earlier patch introducing the --kaslr option

Andrew Honig ahonig at google.com
Tue Feb 18 18:19:46 UTC 2014

> But if I try that value with your patch applied, it fails in the same manner
> as if I don't use the --kaslr option at all:
>
>  $ crash --kaslr 0x19000000 vmlinux vmcore
>
>  crash 7.0.5rc12
>  Copyright (C) 2002-2014  Red Hat, Inc.
>  Copyright (C) 2004, 2005, 2006, 2010  IBM Corporation
>  Copyright (C) 1999-2006  Hewlett-Packard Co
>  Copyright (C) 2005, 2006, 2011, 2012  Fujitsu Limited
>  Copyright (C) 2006, 2007  VA Linux Systems Japan K.K.
>  Copyright (C) 2005, 2011  NEC Corporation
>  Copyright (C) 1999, 2002, 2007  Silicon Graphics, Inc.
>  Copyright (C) 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002  Mission Critical Linux, Inc.
>  This program is free software, covered by the GNU General Public License,
>  and you are welcome to change it and/or distribute copies of it under
>  certain conditions.  Enter "help copying" to see the conditions.
>  This program has absolutely no warranty.  Enter "help warranty" for details.
>
>  GNU gdb (GDB) 7.6
>  Copyright (C) 2013 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
>  License GPLv3+: GNU GPL version 3 or later <http://gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html>
>  This is free software: you are free to change and redistribute it.
>  There is NO WARRANTY, to the extent permitted by law.  Type "show copying"
>  and "show warranty" for details.
>  This GDB was configured as "x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu"...
>
>  WARNING: could not find MAGIC_START!
>  WARNING: cannot read linux_banner string
>  crash: vmlinux and vmcore do not match!
>
>  Usage:
>
>   crash [OPTION]... NAMELIST MEMORY-IMAGE  (dumpfile form)
>   crash [OPTION]... [NAMELIST]             (live system form)
>
>  Enter "crash -h" for details.
>  $
>
> Any ideas?  I can give you the vmlinux/vmcore/kallsyms triplet if you'd like.

As far as why the offset wasn't present, sorry about that.  I guess
our tool chain is a bit more different than upstream, I've had a bit
of trouble generating kdump files for upstream.

Your manual calculations look correct to me though and it should work.
 If you can send me the vmlinux/vmcore triplet (I don't think I need
the kallsyms) then I will look at this today.  Can you post it
somewhere I can download it?

Sorry for the delay I was on vacation.

thanks,
Andy