[Crash-utility] how to use crash utility to parse the binary memory dump

vinayak menon vinayakm.list at gmail.com
Tue Jul 22 16:18:27 UTC 2014

>> Also, I suggested the "-o outputfile" option -- after which you could simply
>> enter
>> "crash vmlinux outputfile" -- because your implementation requires that the
>> user must be aware of the base physical address value.
>>
>> Anyway, this all sounds good, so please post a patch.  And can you also make
>> one of
>> these dumpfiles available to me to download?
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>>   Dave
>
> --

Hi Dave,

Patch attached implements raw RAM image support. I have tested it with
a ARM ramdump. Will test it with a arm64 ramdump tomorrow and will
post the results.

With this change, a raw RAM image can be passed to crash in the following way.

./crash [path to ram image]     [path to vmlinux]
--ram_start=[address]   -o output_file

To start with I have assumed that, dump of a single memory node will
be a single file. That means, the 2 RAM images (ddr1.bin and ddr2.bin
which I guess belongs to a single node) mentioned in the first email
of this mail chain, should be concatenated and passed as a single
file. When multiple images are passed with multiple --ram_start, it
will be considered as different memory nodes, like below.

./crash [path to ram image of node 1]    [path to ram image of node 2]
[path to vmlinux]   --ram_start=[start address of node 1]
--ram_start=[start address of node 2]   -o output_file

I can share the memory dumps used.

Thanks,
Vinayak